Tuesday, April 26, 2011

We drove from Fort Worth to Llano TX on Saturday. There, I met a man who was my age that told me he had not seen it rain in the place where he lived in West Texas until he was eight years old. That was during the second dust-bowl period.
Sunday we attended the Fredericksburg Branch, and then visited the National Museum of the Pacific War. I was so impressed. The thing that I wanted to see most of all there was the place where Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz grew up. He is a hero to me and he served as CINCPAC during the war. That is Commander in Chief, US Pacific Command. During my Navy career, I served on that same staff numerous times and was assigned to a Reserve unit that supported CINCPAC.
We then stayed at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio for two nights. The photo of me is on the Parade Field at Lackland AFB and behind me is a Lockheed Super Constellation aircraft - the very aircraft that our family flew from Hawaii to Guam on in 1957. It was also the same kind of aircraft that was in Dad's squadron in Hawaii and Guam. This was on the same Parade Field that our daughter, Robyn, graduated from Air Force Recruit Training. We also visited The Alamo and that was way cool to understand how that historic event played a big part in the formation of our present-day United States.
Today, we drove to Corpus Christi and then on to Port Lavaca TX. My Dad had orders to Corpus Christi in 1960; but got them changed to Oak Harbor. I wanted to see what the place was like and what might have been. Surprisingly, we loved the place.
The photo of Ann is in front of the Fulton Mansion in Rockport TX . The thing that I found cool about the place was that George Fulton collected rainwater for use in the house and had a cistern four times larger than mine - and that was in 1877.  The house had running water and flush toilets.
And some have asked what has been our favorite places or things to do and see. Well, my answer is that I have loved every minute of the trip so far and every place and thing we have done. But the best part of the trip, for me, has been being with Ann on vacation now for almost two months. She is the best and I love her all to pieces. rm

No comments:

Post a Comment