Saturday, March 26, 2011

Here I am with a new friend, Don Beatty, who is one of only about 88 survivors left of the sinking of the Navy ship USS Indianapolis. He and the others were rescued after five days in the water and shark attacks that took many shipmates. What is so cool to me is that I was born on the exact same day the ship was sunk and I have remarked many times how they were in the water for the first five days of my life. We owe a lot to them. They were crewmembers of the ship that delivered the components for the two bombs that hastened the end of WWII in the Pacific and saved the potential 1 million US deaths that were anticipated had we been required to invade the Japanese homeland to end the war.
We had a delightful day in Las Vegas - went to a swap meet and had some great food.

No comments:

Post a Comment