Friday, May 27, 2011

Today was very sobering. We visited the Andersonville National Monument and cemetery. This was a Civil War prison camp that housed 45,000 Union troops. Living conditions were dreadful and a health department's worst nightmare. Just outside the stockade area is the cemetery where 13,000 troops who died at the camp are buried. The whole experience was very emotional. In addition, the National Prisoner of War Memorial/Museum is co-located there. In the past, I have always looked for our last name on war memorials. But this time, I saw my first name several times and also the nickname "Red" that I also used in the past. It was most unsettling.
The second photo is of me walking the road from the train toward the prison camp. This is the same route those captured Union soldiers had to walk to a camp where they might find their end. Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment