Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Some have asked about what prompted this six-month road-trip. Well, in part it is a compilation of people and places I have wanted to visit for years. In the end, we have rolled many different visits into one trip. One such visit happened today in Lewiston, UT. It is a visit I have wanted to make for about 15 years. Here I am with Larry W. Dunn. He was my senior companion when we served as Branch Teachers in the Oak Harbor Branch in the early '60s. He was 19 and in the US Navy and I was 14. He set the best examples for me in how to have fun and enjoy life. He was someone I looked up to and respected. He was also the first person to let me drive a car. (I was 15) He had such confidence in me that he stopped near Marysville, WA, got out, went around and got in the passenger side and said, "you're driving." He then promptly fell asleep while I drove his 1955 Mercury Montclair home to Oak Harbor, WA. That was a major confidence builder and I shall forever thank him for his trust in me. We had an exceptional visit today that met my every expectation for this long awaited visit. Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment