Monday, September 5, 2011




Today was the coolest for me. We drove from Great Falls, MT to Raymond, Alberta, Canada and got to tour the home that my Icelandic Grandfather, I. M. Johnson built. And we got to walk in the upstairs bedroom where my mother, Irene Johnson Marin was born along with her twin sister, Ivarene. The interior walls had been redone, the exterior had been stuccoed and a bathroom had been added. But the floors, windows and interior trim were original and we were standing on the exact location where events would soon affect my life. My mother, Irene, only lived 27 years and died when I was two. I have only three things of hers. So, getting to visit this house today was hugely important to me and has been on my wish list for years. This will be a cherished memory for me for the rest of my life.
I. M. Johnson changed his name when he immigrated to the United States from Iceland. He started life as Ingimunder Jónson. It became Ingimore Johnson and then after he moved to Raymond, AB he changed it to I.M. Johnson which he kept for the rest of his life. While in Canada, he served on the Raymond Town Council from 1906-08. I served on the Edmonds City Council from 2001 until 2008. So he and I served in public elected office 100 years apart. Pretty cool huh?
Soon after my mother was born, Grandpa Johnson's health got so bad they moved to San Diego, CA
Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment